Personal Rapid Transit

Personal Rapid Transit is the name given to a technology that gives us the first new form of transport in a century.

This campaign is to establish a fair trial system within 5 years.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

about me [opinion?]

About me

As promised some information about me. My background is as an Engineer with a green/environmental bias and I have work as a Programmer/Researcher into the field of pedestrian movement and have done so in the last 20 years. As such I come into contact with the fields of urban planning and transportation studies.

I also worked for some time in Georiga for the Georgia Regional Transport Authority - a quasi governmental body that was established to do something about pollution/congestion in Atlanta. It was close to being a smart growth led authority, with a strong emphasis on public transit. I left when I wanted to return to England after the birth of my first child. I'm back in the UK now doing more pedestrian research.

So I am not involved with any PRT program/company, I don't receive a penny from evangelizing any of these technologies. I'm not attached to ANY established transit technology and but I know enough about traffic modeling ect to understand the technicalities behind them.

I have a strong interest in how certain technologies are adopted and others are dropped. PRT (in my view) is an interesting case of a Cinderella technology. Some thing which may well change society and the environment for the better.

In general I love new technologies and I love to invent them as well ( see my other blog). I'm not an anti-progress Luddite I also don't think ANY thing new is necessary good.


Please feel free to comment - that's what it's there for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home